Welcome to my cozy chair by the fire!
Otherwise known as my ideal place to read books, if such a place existed in my house. My love for reading started in elementary school. I remember spending hours in the library finding new Babysitters Club books (do you remember???!) and other series that captivated me. Reading has, and always will be, my favorite way to escape reality. So with that, I’m so excited to announce a new segment to my blog!
If you read my Elite Daily article (found here) then you know that I made a New Year’s Resolution to read one new book a month. I made more resolutions, however, this one was about taking time for myself each month to do something that I love, but never seem to make the time for. Enter “Book of the Month Club”. I joined in January and I’ve had the best time picking a new book every month! I picked them based on the book description and the reviews of the book, and it got me thinking…have I ever read a book that I didn’t read some type of review or recommendation on? Nah. Reading is such a huge part of my life, and one of my favorite things to talk about with my friends, so I figured “why not start a review section”? Most of all, it will be fun to put some thoughts out there, and who knows…maybe it will make you read something you wouldn’t have thought to read!
Like me, my reading preferences are all over the place. I love thrillers, true crime, history, science fiction, horror, suspense, biographies, memoirs, fiction, and my new favorite genre; contemporary. While I plan to review the books I read, one thing I vow to never do is write about a book that I didn’t like. I’ve always chosen to only put positive vibes out with my writing, because I really feel that wasting time writing negative content hurts the writer more than the receiver! So, I want to hear from YOU! What is your favorite book, and why? Are there any books you’ve been wanting to read? I love to find new books to get lost in, any recommendations are welcome. 🙂 Happy reading!
My First Love – Shopping!
One of my favorite blog topics to browse are “Friday Favorites and Style Guide” posts. I’ve decided to combine the two with my new segment, Friday Finds! Because I’m a rebel like that.
I love to shop, hate to have what everyone else has, and don’t like to search too long to find items that fit my style.
- Sandals: Turns out, my husband is even more amazing than I previously thought. Not only did he secretly book a cruise for us, but he planned with my family to have ALL OF MY SIBLINGS AND MY BEST FRIEND come with! More on this later. While browsing Target for the perfect swim suit to hide my extra beer weight, I stumbled upon these perfect sandals and I couldn’t get them in my cart fast enough.
- Hat: Thanks to my Scottish heritage, my skin may be olive, but I am not down with extra freckles and skin cancer isn’t really my style. Enter the sun hat, one of my summer must haves. J. Crew can be a bit pricey, but for a classic that I wear year after year, I’m good with the cost if it means it will hold up over time!
- Rifle Paper Notepad: I’m slightly obsessed with being organized, which means that I make lists for every-damn-thing! Bills, To-Dos, reminders on how to breathe in and out slowly so that I don’t lose it when my kids are mortal-combat-style fighting…you get the picture. I also am a sucker for anything from Rifle Paper Co, because just look at it! I use this notepad everyday, but I’m not worried about running out because guess what?! They’re having their semi-annual sidewalk sale in Winter Park tomorrow from 10-5!!! You’re welcome locals. You can find their website here.
- How to Be Parisian: Anyone who knows me knows that while I rarely watch TV, my nose is ALWAYS stuck in a book. This book may sound a little silly, but it’s a really fun read! I’ve been in love with Paris since my first french class in the 7th grade, and this book read like some of the stories that my fabulous french teacher told me about her college days exploring France with her Parisian girlfriends. Classy, rebellious, witty, and just snobby enough to be cute.
- Sun Safety Essentials Kit: Okay, I’ll admit it. I used to go to tanning beds. GASP! Come on, it was before everyone was becoming aware of skin cancer and premature aging! For the past 5 or so years, I’ve been diligent about sun protection, both for myself and my children. I’m also in head-over-heels love with Sephora, and each year they roll out their new Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kit and I always snap it up ASAP. The products are all travel size, but they all pack a punch and are super effective. My favorite from this year is the Coola Makeup Setting Spray. It’s on the expensive side, but it works like a charm! It dries immediately and protects your face (and make up) with SPF 30! Win-win in my book!
Strawberry Basil Mule recipe in my last post! And yes, that is a Harry Potter lightening bolt on my mule mug…
Michael is traveling this weekend to help my parents and little sisters move down to Florida (finally) so I’m flying solo with Laila and Carson…and my growing to-do list. While searching for easy and semi-healthy breakfast recipes for the kiddos, I stumbled across this recipe and wanted to share! Cheers to the weekend friends, I hope it’s relaxing and way too much fun!